UCDC Academic Internship Program Courses
During the quarter in D.C., all UCDC academic internship participants pay UCI registration fees and maintain their UCI full-time student status. Participants must enroll as full-time students in at least 12 units of UCDC courses, consisting of a 4-unit UCDC Seminar and 4-8 units of UCDC Internship.
1. UCDC SEMINAR (UCDC 180; 4 units; Letter grade only). All students are required to take one Seminar course, and there are typically 5-6 Seminars to choose from. Seminars are typically taught 1 day a week for 3 hours.
2. UCDC INTERNSHIP (UCDC 170; 4, 6, or 8 units; P/NP). Students decide how many hours per week they want to intern, depending on how many units they need and their internship site requires. UCDC program hour requirements are as follows:
Number of Units
Number of Hours Per Week
FULFILLING UCI DEGREE REQUIREMENTS:
- It is possible for all Seminar courses to fulfill UCI degree requirements. Consult with the Academic Counselor in the School of your major to determine if a particular course is appropriate to fulfill a degree requirement. You will need to provide the course description and/or syllabus to make this determination.
- It is possible to petition to complete the UCI Upper-Division Writing Requirement through the UCDC seminar. Note that this is not guaranteed. Read more about how that petition process works.
- The internship can fulfill the following requirements: Social Ecology Field Study, Public Health Practicum, Social Policy & Public Service Internship, Civic & Community Engagement Minor Internship, and International Studies International Experience (if the internship has an international focus).
NOTE: We also offer a Fall Semester option. Students selected for this semester option will do their academic course work in the same time frame as the quarter students, but will intern for a total of 12-14 weeks. The semester option is currently only being offered in the Fall, although students can create their own Spring semester option by participating in both winter and spring quarters.
Participants will enroll in classes at both the UC Washington Center and UCI, as follows:
1) UC Washington Center Enrollment. Enroll in only the Seminar course via this link. Participants will be provided with more details before it is time to enroll with the Washington Center.
2) UCI Enrollment via WebReg. Enroll in all UCDC courses via WebReg and pay normal registration fees to UCI. Participants will be provided with the UCDC course codes before the conclusion of the enrollment period.